fonts gone wierd in wine

OK, who ate my fonts.  After another round with dselect, my fonts have
gone wierd in wine.

Except for printing, wine runs my program reasonably well.  But all
of a sudden, the fonts it uses have been eaten.  I now get a wierd
semi-italic san serif instead of (i think it was) courier, and get to
wait every time I start while:

Building font metrics. This may take some time...

I can't find any fonts other than foreign language stuff.  I have

>dpkg --list | grep "^.\{4,20\}font"
ii  freefont       0.10-8         Freeware font selection for X11
ii  gsfonts        5.10a-2        Fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
ii  gsfonts-other  5.10-2         Additional fonts for the ghostscript interpr
ii  gsfonts-x11    0.12           Make Ghostscript fonts available to X11.
ii  libxfont-xtt   1.3.0.1-8      X-TT patched font library of X (Shared libra
ii  xfonts-100dpi  3.3.6-1        100 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-75dpi   3.3.6-1        75 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-base    3.3.6-1        standard fonts for X
ii  xfonts-bitmap- 8.1-2          ETL 16dot bitmap font for X
ii  xfonts-scalabl 3.3.6-1        scalable fonts for X

My poor computer is already taxed enough without having to make up fonts
on the fly :(

The good news is, that if you are teaching and your book uses Thompson
Publishing's software for the test bank, it runs just as well under
wine as windows.  The bad news is, aside from that, it's crummy
software :)

hawk