Guru challenge: hosts/networking

Hi,

I have a weird problem with my DSL setup, using the DSL router in
"ppp" mode. The router incorporates NAT, changing the router's IP
address into a Class A private network address.

The problem seems to be associated, at least in part, with my
/etc/nsswitch.conf file :

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

#hosts:      files dns
hosts:    dns  files
#networks:       files
networks:  nis files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

With the file like this, bootup hangs for a _very_ long time at the

Starting system log daemon :  syslogd        stage.
and also at the Starting print spooler : lpd       stage

It then proceeds very slowly to the login prompt.

If I use the line :     hosts :   files  dns      instead, this does
not happen, but I cannot then get to my ISP's nameservers or do a
nslookup.

These are other pertinent files :

howardm:~$cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1       localhost
10.0.0.2        howardm.xmission.com    howardm

howardm:~$cat /etc/networks

localnet 10.0.0.0

howardm:~$cat /etc/init.d/network

#! /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=10.0.0.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=10.0.0.0
BROADCAST=10.0.0.255
GATEWAY=10.0.0.1
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

howardm:~$uname -a

Linux howardm 2.2.12 #2 Thu Aug 26 11:46:26 PDT 1999 i686 unknown

I'd appreciate any thoughts about this weird situation.

Thanks,

Howard Mann.