Re: rebuild kernel and modules

Lee Bradshaw <lee@sectionIV.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 10:22:11AM -0600, Timothy C. Phan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I'm in the middle of rebuild the 2.2.13 kernel for potato
> >   to include IP-MASQ plus some other modules.  I'd like to
> >   know after the kernel and some modules were built, how would
> >   I go about install the modules.
> >
> >   I learned that I can re-install the new kernel by simply
> >   dpkg -i.  But, for module, what is the command to install
> >   or unstall.
> >
> >   Thanks!
>
> After you do something like:
>
>   make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
>
> add:
>
>   make-kpkg modules_image
>
> Install both the kernel-image and pcmcia-modules .deb files.
>
> See /usr/share/kernel-package/README.modules for more info.

First, it seems that Timothy is not using the kernel-package
package. You'll want to use this Timothy since it makes life a lot
easier on our Debian systems, and it is the Debian Way (TM).

Now, what Lee said only applies to "extra" modules, like PCMCIA. The
modules that are part of the kernel source tree are included in the
kernel image file that is generated by make-kpkg. Read the docs for
the kernel-package package to learn how to use it. It's pretty
straightforward. An example session for building a kernel:

% cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.13
% make menuconfig
% make-kpkg --revision homePC.1 --bzimage kernel_image
% cd ..
% dpkg -i kernel-image-2.2.14_homePC.1_i386.deb

and you're done.

Gary