Re: Newbie's experience Installing Debian

Unfortunately, you got bit by the "New Riders" bug. They screwed up with
the CD that comes with that book.  I hear they'll ship you another CD if
you contact them.

My first experience with Debian was a little less than a year ago. I got
the 4CD set (2 binary, 2 source) from CheapBytes for a little under $10
US.  It took me about three tries to get through the initial install,
and then a couple of redos to get it configured the way I wanted.  Then
I moved to potato for an X that supported my video card (didn't know
about Slink versions). Been a satisfied customer ever since.

If you've got a decent internet connection, I'd say try the boot-floppy
install for Potato (they need some willing souls to help them get the
floppies ready for the next release). You'll probably want to move to it
anyway, unless you need ultra stability for a critical server.
| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |