Re: What sends IGMP packets?

Le 2000-02-11 21:16:20 +0100, Anton Emmerfors écrivait :
> Since a few days something is sending out IGMP packages to 224.0.0.1
> and this is bad for several reasons. First, 224.0.0.1 is in the
> private range of multicast addresses[1] (IIRC) so something must be
> incorrectly configured. Second, I can't find the program responsible
> for sending these packages.
>
> BTW: IGMP is Internet Group Management Protocol according to
> /etc/protocols.
>

> [1] Weird thing is, the 224.0.0.1 address resolves to
> ALL-SYSTEMS.MCAST.NET according to nslookup. Is that really correct?

As far as I know, there is nothing wrong. Your kernel must have
been compiled with multicast support, and it is trying to "subscribe"
to the general multicast group.

I believe the multicast RFC(s) mandates this. Win9x clients do this
also.

To get rid of these packets, just compile your kernel without
the multicast option.

Hope it helps.

--
Jean-Philippe Guérard