Re: Debian logo et al.

> > clear > file
>
> Um, no. I know how to create empty files. :)

the above command doesn't create an empty file, it creates a file which
contains the control codes which clear the screen.  eg.

heyzeus(larry)$ clear > /tmp/blah

heyzeus(larry)$ od -tc /tmp/blah
0000000 033   [   H 033   [   2   J
0000007

or if you still don't believe me try using vi to edit the created file, or
simply cat it and you'll notice that it clears the screen.

> Slink's default behavior leaves all the text from the previous user's
> session on the screen, and writes /etc/issue to the screen at the
> bottom, with all this old session text above it. Red Hat prints
> /etc/issue (I assume that's the file) on a blank screen at the screen's
> top. How?

open up /etc/issue and then import (to the top of the file) the control
codes from /tmp/blah.  every time the /etc/issue file is viewed the screen
will be cleared.

adam.