Installing and help need

In a nut shell,
I am running Win98. (early flaky pirate version)Trying to install Debian 2.1.
I have a 4gig hd with one partition that includes Win98 in the fat32 format.
fdisk shows the full 4gigs but Win98 only shows 2gig. (1gig used and 1gig free)
It would be labor and cost intensive to format the hd and partition properly. (I have lots of stuff on there that I do not have hard copies of and I don't have large backup capabilities)
Without spending another $50 for partition software, can I split the current partition?
If so, how?
Thanks
B. Stine