app-defaults or something else?

Today I upgraded my XFree86 to version 3.3.6 from Vincent's XFree86-update
directory, and now I have a minor but irritating problem.  Some applications
are now using large fonts in their controls (ugly) that previously were not.
Most notably netscape, abiword, gimp, and lyx.  Other apps have not changed,
and I would like top return to my previous defaults.  How do I do this?  What
file(s) do I need to edit or app do I need to run?  What docs do I need to
read in order to understand this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

-ptw