backspace no longer working in some apps

I have updated my Slink machine to use the XFree86 3.3.6 packages available
from Vincent's XFree86-update directory, and now the backspace key no longer
works when using applications run in xterm.  Specifically, if I run top in an
xterm and type "u" to show only one users processes, I cannot use backspace to
delete a typo.  Also in dselect,I cannot use backspace to delete a typo when
using search.  I'm sure that this is one problem causing both.  I'm also sure
that there are more instances of this that I've not run into yet (it's only
been ten minutes since the upgrade) How do I fix this?

I know that this has come up recently, but I've been unable to find the
to the previous thread about this, and to the appropriate docs, I would be
greatly appreciative.

-ptw