				-----Original Message-----
				From:	David Wright
[SMTP:d.wright@open.ac.uk]
				Sent:	Thursday, February 10, 2000
12:19 PM
				To:	Owens, Jerry
				Cc:	'debian-user@lists.debian.org'
				Subject:	Re: Install problem

			Quoting Owens, Jerry (jowens@cpsdirect.com):
			> 			e.g. (untested)
			>
			> 			cp
path-to-your-file/base2_1.tgz .
			> 			gunzip base2_1.tgz
			> 			ls
			> 			I tried to unzip it
using gunzip on the VC2
			> console and it said gunzip not found. I was
able to open it with WinZip
			> from windows and it looked fine. It would also
let me unzip it.

			My mistake. Before the contents of base2_1.tgz
are available,
			the commands are pretty limited. You might try

			zcat < path-to-your-file/base2_1.tgz > /dev/null

			which means you don't have to copy the file, of
course.

			Your mail client seems to be seriously broken
when quoting, BTW:

			> 			(Copying it prevents you
altering the original.
			> IIRC at this