Latex install unsuccessful in slink

Here I am, stuck at work, Linux not allowed on the network...  :(

I want to use latex/lyx and have installed the latest Slink versions of
tetex* off debian.org (WinNT serves as my in-between), but the install
script reports the following:

Running initex. This may take some time. ...
fmtutil: `tex -ini
-progname=latex latex.ini' failed.
Output of initex is in /tmp/tex00494aaa

and lyx dies since latex can't be found. I thought I saw in another message
earlier this month that some errors with the tetex packages were Y2K
problems, but I lost that one and can't find it in the archives. Is there
another set of debs somewhere else? Has this been seen before?

Thanks,

Kenward

I need to wait for the release of potato before I can upgrade, BTW (I have
limited space on my HD, so can't DL the dist. with NT).
                                          .'^~;,_
Dr. Kenward Vaughan                       ':,'~~~~~
Professor of Chemistry                    \;:/
Bakersfield College                       |,;|
Bakersfield, CA  93305                   / ', \
661-395-4243                            / o  O \
kvaughan@bc.cc.ca.us                   (oOoOOoOo)