Problems with Kernel 2.2.13 and 2.2.14

Hello,

I have a machine (all SCSI, 1 GB Drive, 4 GB drive) and Debian 2.1r1 is
installed on /dev/sda1 (1027 MB), mounting several other partiotions at boot
time.

Since this machine is at a university, I do need to get my IP address (NE2K-PCI)
via BOOTP.

so i complied the kernel to my needs (BOOTP Support, NE2K-PCI..), and updated
the MBR with LILO.

Lilo boots fine, kernel sends bootp request, gets reply, and then hangs
with the message:

VFS Kernel Panic Cannot mount Root Device 08:01 .

sda is at id3, sdb at id0, and cdrom at id6. Controller used is an Adaptec
2940 UW.

I have no idea what would cause the problem (system runs fine with kernel
 2.0.36)

Ideas?

Robert Ribnitz