Re: xfs vs xfstt vs native

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 06:45:19PM -0500, dan@cg619985-a.adubn1.nj.home.com wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 02:59:24PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> > Not exactly Debian-specific....
> >
> > Can anyone point me to some layman's=style docs concerning
> > xfs vs xfstt vs using native Linux fonts? I've read the
> > DeUglification mini-Howto, but it didn't make clear whether
> > you'd want to use xfs or xfstt or both or what.
> >
> > It seems to me that the use of xfs/xfstt for true-type font
> > support is sort of like "cheating", i.e. "Linux uses its own
> > native fonts and you shouldn't introduce a foreign font
> > system to it."
> >
> > Thanks for any input.
> END OF QUOTE
>
> I am running both xfs and xfstt. You can specify where X will get its
> fonts from in XF86Config. TTF fonts render much better, so it's nice
> to use them whenever you want or have to. One excellent example is
> Netscape. If you are on a network, you can set up a centralized font
> server, and point all your X servers to that server.

Personally, xfs doesn't make any sense unless you're sharing fonts to
other machines. However, xfstt or xfs-tt are really the only way to have
TT fonts displayed.  Since there's no English documents for xfs-tt, I
used xfstt (which is quite easy).  There's a preliminary font HOWTO
here: http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/font_howto/html .

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |