Potato network problems

   I've got a potato box which just broke on a recent update.  This
machine is a IP masquerading gateway, it has ipmasq and the various
other potato networking tools installed.

   The machine's been running fine, but when I did an update Monday
evening it stopped talking to the net sometime during the night.  I've
been pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out.  The update went
perfectly fine, no errors or anything, but the machine just stopped
talking -- the machine can't be seen from the net.

   The internal network (192.168.*.*) works just fine.  The various
services on the server also work fine from the internal network.  The
problem is that it won't talk to the net.  I can ping the NIC which is
on the net, the card responds fine.  However, if I try to hit my
external gateway's IP address I get nothing.

   Ifconfig and route -n show normal info; it should, I changed nothing
other than doing a dselect update/install.  There appears to be incoming
traffic hitting the Internet NIC.  I know the network link is up because
if I reconfigure another machine I can get out directly (by bypassing
the server).

   I do, however, get messages in /var/log/kern.log which mention
kernel: packet log DENY.

   My questions are many.  Did any ipchains stuff get updated in the
past few days?  Is anyone else experiencing this (I've got another
similarly configured machine which has been working just fine -- go
figure.:-)?  Since I've triple check the various /etc networking-related
files and my /etc/init.d/networks, I'm ass/u/ming it's something to do
with the firewalling/ipmasq package.  Does anyone have a barest-bones
script for ipchains that I could play with just to examine that
possibility?  Any tips would be appreciate; TIA.

--
Regards, | redwards@tec.nh.us | I'm a computer geek, not in marketing.
.        |                    | Since I'm paid for technical knowledge