Has anybody gotten port forwarding to work with Debian?

I'm running slink, and a 2.2.14 kernel (on a Dell Latitude laptop, though
I doubt that matters.)  And I can't get port forwarding working.

I've rebuilt the kernel with all the required config options set except
for CONFIG_IP_FORWARD, which doesn't exist anywhere in the sources for
2.2.14.

Meanwhile, running 'ipportfw' gives me:
root#: ipportfw
Could not open /proc/net/ip_portfw
Are you sure you have Port Forwarding installed?

ipportfw comes from the package ipportfw_1.11-6.deb, which installed
without errors.

Has anybody done this?  What am I missing?

Thanks,

--Eric House

* From the desktop of: Eric House, fixin@peak.org                            *
*     Check out Crosswords for PalmOS: <http://www.peak.org/~fixin/xwords>   *
*          "The instructions said 'Win98 or better' -- so I installed Linux" *