Re: Reporting RAM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Lane Lester wrote:

> What command will tell me how much RAM Debian Linux thinks I have?

'free' will do it.  The kernel publishes the information in /proc/meminfo.

> My BIOS, Win NT, and Win 98 all know I have 128M, but Corel Linux
> thinks I have only 64M. I've tried adding the mem= line to lilo.conf,
> but it doesn't work for me.

The correct incantation is (within the "image" stanza)
append="mem=128M"
This should either cause a crash (if your memory isn't really 128M) or all
128M should show up.  The kernel publishes the commandline parameters in
/proc/cmdline.  Mine looks like:
auto BOOT_IMAGE=ipmasq ro root=341 mem=128M reboot=soft

If yours doesn't have "mem=128M" in it like mine, you haven't specified
the parameter correctly.  Try passing the parameter in from LILO, as in:
LILO
boot: linux mem=128M