mailman craziness

Hi,

I think I've somehow managed to break mailman.

Today I went to bulk add some users to one of my mailing
lists, clicked the submit button on the admin webpage and
... nothing was changed.  So I did some other testing,
trying to remove others that were subscribed, changing the
footer and so on, only to discover that NONE of the admin
pages are working via the web.  Here are some other things:

- I immediately noticed that it's asking for the admin
    password *alot* more.  Every single link or button
    on an admin page spawns an authentication request.
    Even clicking "details" links in the general options
    window gets a passwd prompt.

- Nothing in the logs.

- Typing in the wrong password on purpose, it knows and
    asks for the right one.  But upon entering the proper
    passwd and getting in, no changes have taken effect.

And there's more.  Before posting I went ahead and uninstalled/
reinstalled mailman.  My lists are very small at this point
so I gave it a shot.  Same problem.

Greatly appreciate any help/suggestions,

-Mark