Getting xfs-xtt to work

Hello,

Someone here suggested getting xfs-xtt to add True Type font support
to Linux. I did that and am getting trouble setting it up. Here are the
steps I've followed so far after installing xfs-xtt and also fttools:
mkdir /usr/local/share/fonts/truetype
cp /mnt/c/windows/fonts/*.ttf /usr/local/share/fonts/truetype
cd /usr/local/share/fonts/truetype
mkfttdir
nano /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/config
      (added a pointer to /usr/local/share/fonts/truetype)

That's where I am right now. What do I do after (or before?)? Isn't there
some xset command I need to run? Do I need to kill the x-server stuff
(and if I do, mind telling me how?). Please be specific. Thanks!

- Bart