Re: Is Gnome getting more UNstable?

On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 09:01:48PM -0600, David J. Kanter wrote:
> I upgraded to the latest frozen Gnome packages, and Gnome is crashing more
> than ever before. I wanted to give it a shot, but wound up just sticking
> with trusty fvwm2.
>
> For instance, I may run the configuration tool launcher, nothing will happen
> and I cannot log out using the foot menu. The window manager works fine
> (sawmill or enlightenment), but Gnome is dead. This happen a lot: cannot log
> out of Gnome.
>
> This leads me to control+alt+backspace to get back to the xdm login screen,
> after which no one (root or me) can log back and use Gnome; I have to change
> exec gnome-session to exec fvwm2 and I can log back in.

This indicates to me that maybe your window manager is not being session
managed by GNOME.  For instance, do you specify a window manager before
"exec gnome-session".  You need to specify the window-manager you want
to use with the gnome-control-center.  Then everything should be
hunky-dory.
| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |