Re: Attention: imapd gpoing back to $HOME as mailbox root

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Onno Ebbinge wrote:

> Maybe there is...
>
> You could patch the program to set the variable at startup from
> a parameter or configfile. I haven't seen the source but reading a
> variable from a parameter or config file at startup shouldn't be
> hard...

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been reading debian-user for a while.

There is actually a configuration file of sorts.  See
/usr/share/doc/libc-client4.7/imaprc.txt for details.  Note also the
warning the author has put in it.

*		     DANGER!  BEWARE!  TAKE CARE!		     *
*								     *
*  These files, and this documentation, are for internal UW usage    *
* only.  This capability is for UW experimental tinkering, and most  *
* emphatically *not* for sorcerer's apprentices at other sites who   *
* feel that if a config file capability exists, they must write a    *
* config file whether or not there is any need for one.		     *
*								     *
*  This information is subject to change without notice.  Commands   *
* may be added, removed, or altered.  The behavior of comamnds may   *
* change.  Do not use any of this information without consulting me  *
* first.  c-client's defaults have been carefully chosen to be right *
* for general-purpose and most special-purpose configurations.  If   *
* you tinker with these defaults, all hell may break loose.	     *
*								     *
*  This is not an idle threat.  There have been several instances of *
* people who ignored these warnings and have gotten burned.	     *
*								     *
*  Don't even trust this file to work.  Many of the things which can *
* be changed by this file can also be changed by the application,    *
* and it is totally unpredictable which will take precedence.  It    *
* all depends upon how the application is coded.  Not only that, you *
* may cause the application to crash.                                *
*								     *
*  In other words, keep your cotton-pickin' hands off my defaults.   *
* If it crashes and erases your mail, I don't want to hear about it. *
* Consider 'em ``mandatory defaults''.  Got a nice ring, eh?  :-) If *
* you must tinker with defaults, play with the .pinerc and pine.conf *
* files in Pine.  It's got options galore, all supported for you to  *
* have fun.  They're also documented; so well documented, it takes   *
* two strong men to carry around all the documentation.	 ;-) ;-)     *
*								     *
*  Joking aside, you really shouldn't be fooling around with this    *
* capability.  It's dangerous, and you can shoot yourself in the     *
* foot easily.  If you need custom changes, you are better off with  *
* local source code modifications.  Seriously.			     *
*								     *
*  One last warning: don't believe anything that you read in this    *
* document.  Every effort has been made to ensure that this document *
* is incomplete and inaccurate, and I take no responsibility for any *
* glimmers of correct information that may, by some fluke, be here.  *

If after reading that you still aren't afraid, try it.  Let me know if it
works and when I upload 4.7a-1 (which I just Debianized) I'll include
instructions on it.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>