X hangs modem/ppp

----- Forwarded message from Kurt Swigart <kswigart@silverlink.net> -----

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:31:49 -0800
From: Kurt Swigart <kswigart@silverlink.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: X hangs modem/ppp

I am still having trouble here.  The problem seems to be the modem not
pppd.  Does anyone else have a similar problem.  I can't be teh only
one.

Kurt

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 05:34:33AM -0800, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> --- Kurt Swigart <kswigart@silverlink.net> wrote:
>
> > My ppp connection quits working when I start X.  It doesn't happen all
> > the time, just about 60%.  Stopping X does not make it better.
>
> How heavy is the overall system load?

Light.

> > The problem seems to be with the modem (or the serial port), since even if
> > I kill pppd, I cannot communicate with the modem.
>
> Maybe it remains locked.

Nope.  I already checked that.

> > I can't even send it "ATZ".  I have found no way to "reset" the problem
> > except to reboot.
>
> Turning the modem off and on doesn't help?

No help I already tried that too.

> > I first thought that there may be an IRQ conflict between the mouse
> > and the modem, but that is not it.  I did not have this problem with
> > the same hardware but with my old Slackware distribution.  When I
> > switched to debian, the problem started.
> >
> > I have an external Supra 28.8k modem on ttyS3 (irq 3).  My mouse is on
> > ttyS0 (irq 4).
>
> The only suggestion I can make is to try irqtune from the hwtools package.

Tried that also.  IRQ 3 has the top priority.

Thanks anyway, Kurt

----- End forwarded message -----