AGHHHH! I ruined Linux!

Hey everyone

I have a huge crisis.  I was trying to get the current version of GTK+,
along with a c++ wrapper, but I needed a bunch of new libraries and stuff
to install.  I started getting them, but each of them depended another
library, until finally I needed the new version of libc6.  I got it and
tried to install it (along with a new version of apt and some other stuff),
and it unpacked it, but then quit because of dependency issues on something
else.  Anyways, I restarted and nothing works.  I can login to the shell
(not X), and use the basic commands, but I can't run many programs.  So I
downloaded the old libc6 libraries and installed  them.  I thought that
would fix my problem, but it didn't.  What should I do?

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson