Re: Beep?

dkphoto@cyber-wire.com (dkphoto) wrote:
>I've lost track of how many Unix/Linux/???ix books I've bought now and
>none of them seems to be very thorough. It seems every author assumes you
>are using his/her particular flavor of Unix and don't need to know
>anything at all about any of the others.

Yep, it's a fragmented world. The core of Unix - the syscall interface,
the C library, the shell - are similar everywhere, though, even if they
aren't quite identical. For help with the nitty-gritty of particular
distributions, though, it's usually best to go to the distribution
itself.

>The one I am reading now says that the ^G command makes the system
>'beep.' It doesn't. How do I produce the system sound/beep/warning,
>whatever you'd like to call it?

I'm assuming you *are* typing Ctrl-G, not "^G"? If that doesn't work,
try putting 'set bell-style audible' in your ~/.inputrc. Try:

  echo -e '\a'

... as well (read 'help echo').

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]