Please Reply: Kernel compilation straight from the base install...

Hi, I recently installed the potato base system, and wanted to compile my
own kernel straight from there. I was wodering what all packages I'd need
to download from the debian home page to be able to do this. The reason I
have to get them from the debian home page is becuase all I have right now
is a win modem, therefore I can't apt-get them. I'll be replacing the
modem soon, but for now I'd like to compile the kernel. Please respond
soon, thanks in advance.

Rob Hensley