Re: hardware problems

it would be helpful to know if the machine has ever been running good
under another distro/OS or if its a 'new' machine..

install lm_sensors on the machine for some additional info about the
mainboard like voltage and temp and stuff.  i also find running X on the
screen with status monitors is good, when my BP6 crashes i can usually
always see what was going on when it crashed from mem/cpu load to cpu/MB
temp to time it crashed etc.

it may also be worth a shot to install another OS on it to see if it does
the same..could try one of the floppy based linux distros that installs
into memory or the QNX demo (www.qnx.com) which also loads into memory.

also it may be worth trying to crash it by increasing the cpu and i/o load
by loading multiple copies of seti@home 1 copy for every 10-15MB of ram
you have.  make the machine work it's ass off for a while and see if it
holds up for the 24 hours, or if it crashes real quick.  i can usually get
about 15 million disk writes out in a 2-3 day period with a good amount of
seti going. it stresses the IDE bus to the limits(and past some, ive had
machines reset the ide bus a few times during that)

nate