dpkg --(get|set)-selections

#include <newbie_to_debian.h>

What defines a package as being 'selected'?  I would think that it would
mean those packages that have been selected via the dselect 'Select'
stage.  However, output seems to suggest that the --(get|set)-selections
only print what's installed, not what's been selected.  Is my
understanding of this incorrect (*very* possible)?

Ian J. Alexander                     email: ija@eaze.net  Office: 817-557-3038
Senior Software Engineer             http://ija.eaze.net  Fax:    817-557-3468
EazeNet - Putting the 'S' in 'ISP'
                         --== There is no spoon. ==--