logrotate

I have quite a bit of trouble with logrotate and syslog. I am running
logrotate and syslog pretty much exactly as they come from the potato
release. With the exception that I added a logrotate file to logrotate.d
to rotate my apache logs as well as turning on the compress option in
logrotate.conf. The problem is that everytime it rotates my syslog files
(weekly) it screws up syslog by making log to messages.0 etc... basically
all my normal syslog files with a .0 extension. Anyone have this happen to
them?

I have temorarily added a restart to the rotate for syslog to restart
syslog which solves the problem but it still creates the files.

Any thoughts?