partition table lost

A friend's box which had a bunch of partitions on its single 3 GB hard disk,
including Win3 (fat16) win95 (fat32) and some linux partitions.

Stupid McAfee messed up the partition table trying to remove the so-called
NYB virus (the virus removal was evidently successful).

Now there is only one partition, /dev/hda1, not even close to the size of
the disk, or any of the old partitions.  I'm SURE all the old Linux stuff,
etc. is still on the disk.

Question is:  How do we get the partion table to look like it did before, to
get at all the partitions, as well fix the active one, etc.

Partition Magic was suggested.  What are the thoughts on this?  It's
appartently not free, and apparently run under windoze.

Basically, the goal here is to recreate the old partition table without
having a copy of it, but having a disk that mostly looks like it did before
it got "fixed" ("cleaned") by McAfee.

TIA,

--Brian Butler