Re: Must /tmp be on boot partition?

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Marc Sherman wrote:
> Does /tmp have to be physically located on the boot
> partition, or can it be a symlink to /var/tmp on another
> partition?  I've seen conflicting statements in different

I've been using /tmp -> /var/tmp for some time now, and never noticed any
problems.

> and others say that the boot process needs temp space, and
> uses /tmp for that purpose, so it needs to be on the boot
> partition.  Does anyone have conclusive proof (ie: a working

A quick look on /etc/rcS.d shows that nothing seems to use /tmp before
S35mountall.sh is called. grep shows that only S55bootmisc.sh uses /tmp
directly.

I am not _sure_ none of the programs called by the scripts use /tmp, though.
But as I said, everything seems to be working fine here.

If anything before S35mountall.sh uses /tmp, this is a potentially severe
bug. It's standard practice to have /tmp as a separate partition when you
can spare the disk space, and this partition would not be available before
S35mountall.sh is run.

  Henrique Holschuh