Re: How to back-out an apt-get upgrade

> Nick Willson wrote:
>
> > Can an apt-get upgrade (or similar) be backed-out?  Say the upgrade appears
> > to fail, is there a way to rollback to the previous state?  I am running
> > 2.1.
>
> APT stores the package files in /var/cache/apt/archives .
>
> The older version(s) should still be there.
>

> Michel
>

> PS: You might be interested in 'apt-get autoclean'

Thank you.  Let me see if this makes sense...

The archives directory "/var/cache/apt/archives" contains the .deb files for
packages installed since the last "apt-get clean", performed either explicitly
or via dselect.

A .deb in the archive is (typically) equivalent to the current version
installed - it could be different (probably newer) if you do an "apt-get
--download-only" or perform some kind of manual intervention.  If I want to
able to use the archive for a downgrade, I should copy it somewhere safe
*before* beginning the upgrade.

Is this correct?

Has anyone used this, or any other mechanism, to rollback (completely or
partially) after an "apt-get upgrade" or an "apt-get dist-upgrade"?

Thanks

--
Nick