Corel Linux non-grephical installation

Yesterday I related that the standard CD isolation wasn't going past
the attempted Graphical interface setup.  During today's snowstorm
around
Wash DC,  I did achieve a work around.

First I knew that my multiaged PC hardware was basically OK, because a
Debian
installation was already working well.   But the CD installation aborted
both
on my machine and my neighor's standard Hewlett Packard PC box.

 The following is basically shortcut
slang for those familiar with Debian Linux installation and update.
If anyone is interested in more detail, email direct to me at
   stodolsk@erols.com.

0. Specify  loadlin in your Win95/98 config.sys to do your boots:

 [MENU]
 MENUITEM=WIN95, WIN95
 MENUITEM=Corel, Corel installation with LINUX_2.0.38 kernel
 MENUITEM=LNX22, LINUX_2.2.13custom

 [WIN95]

 [Corel]
 INSTALL=C:\UTILS\LOADLIN.EXE C:\UTILS\VMLINUZ2.038  ROOT=/DEV/HDA1  RO
VGA=3

 [LNX22]
 INSTALL=C:\UTILS\LOADLIN.EXE C:\UTILS\vmlinuz2.213  ROOT=/DEV/HDA7  RO
VGA=3

        [WIN95]

1.  Set up a 500-1000 Meg partition for the Corel installation
2.  Therein do a minimal, standard Debian Linux installation
3.  Use  dselect  to  modify this initial installation
 a  Use the Corel CD as the source *.deb repository
             for the non-US sources option specify the
.../corel/binary-i386 directory
        b  For the already installed packages, compare the version #s
against those on the CD
           and make a list of the few for which Debian packages have a
higher version.
        c  exit  dselect
4. Use dpkg -i  CorelPackages.deb to reduce the version of these listed
Debian packages
5. With dselect  install  CorelPackages.deb  needed to support XFree86
windows
   Use an already tested XF86Config.
6. Install the desired Corel desktop once X is working.

This is not for the Novice.  It took me some 4 hours to work/learn my
way through it

But the Corel Linux is working on my motley clone and is pretty.
My guess is that the Corel hardware diagnostics is not mature enough
to deal with the diverse PC hardware and doesn't sometimes "deduce" the
right XF86Config.

Probably it would be good for Corel to provide a console based menu
as backup when the graphical installation aborts.

MarvSdeb