Upgrade 2.0 -> 2.1: Should I stay or should I go?

Hi, I have a Debian 2.0 box, which I would like to upgrade to 2.1.
I have, some time ago, manually upgraded to libc6 v.2.1 because I
wanted to use mutt1.0.
Now if I follow instructions on:

  http://www.nl.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

it tells me to get: apt_0.1.8_i386
Installing this conflicts with my version of libc6, so I got apt_0.3.10slink11
This did install allright.
Now if I pursue  with: apt-get -f -s dist-upgrade, I receive the following
error information:

E: Fatal, conflicts violated libc6
E: Fatal, conflicts violated libc6
E: Fatal, conflicts violated libc6
E: Fatal, conflicts violated libc6
E: Fatal, conflicts violated libc6
E: Fatal, conflicts violated libc6
E: Fatal, conflicts violated libc6

Along with the output of the command which is:

Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  timezones
  libncurses4 libjpeg62 kbd-data samba-common
The following packages have been kept back
  whiptail lynx util-linux ae
90 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 1 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Inst zlib1g [libc6 on timezones] [php3 libc6 ]
Inst perl [libc6 on timezones] [php3 libc6 ]
Inst perl-base [libc6 on timezones] [php3 libc6 ]
Conf perl-base [php3 libc6 ]
Inst mime-support [libc6 on timezones] [php3 libc6 ]
Inst apache [libc6 on timezones] [php3 libc6 ]
Inst apache-common [libc6 on timezones] [libc6 ]
Inst php3 [libc6 on timezones] [libc6 ]
Remv timezones
Inst libncurses4
Conf libncurses4
Inst bash
Conf bash
Inst dpkg
Conf dpkg
Inst mount
Conf mount
Inst sysvinit
Conf sysvinit
Inst shellutils
Conf shellutils
Inst bsdutils
Conf bsdutils
Inst debianutils
Conf debianutils
Inst diff
Conf diff
Inst e2fsprogs
Conf e2fsprogs
Inst findutils
Conf findutils
Inst grep
Conf grep
Inst gzip
Conf gzip
Inst sed
Conf sed
Inst tar
Conf tar
Inst base-files
Conf base-files
Inst ncurses-base
Conf ncurses-base
Inst ncurses-bin
Conf ncurses-bin
Inst libreadlineg2
Conf libreadlineg2
Inst netstd
Inst elvis-tiny
Inst libc5
Inst libdb2
Inst netbase
Inst m4
Inst procmail
Inst deliver
Inst sendmail
Inst at
Inst bc
Inst bsdmainutils
Inst cron
Inst groff
Inst lilo
Inst man-db
Inst kbd []
Inst kbd-data
Inst makedev
Inst modutils
Inst procps
Inst setserial
Inst sysklogd
Inst cpp
Inst data-dumper
Inst libnet-perl
Inst dpkg-ftp
Inst elm-me+
Inst gpm
Inst ncurses3.4
Conf ncurses3.4
Inst ispell
Inst iamerican
Inst ibritish
Inst less
Inst liblockfile0
Inst sharutils
Inst apache-doc
Inst archie
Inst dhcp-beta
Inst dhcpcd
Inst ee
Inst idutch
Inst libgpmg1
Inst libjpeg62
Inst libjpegg6a
Inst libstdc++2.8
Conf libstdc++2.8
Inst libtiff3g
Inst magicfilter
Inst mc
Inst metamail
Inst modconf
Inst netpbm1
Inst netpbm
Inst netpbm-nonfree
Inst procmail-lib
Inst samba-common
Inst syslinux
Inst xntp3
Inst xntp3-doc
Inst dpkg-mountable
Inst isapnptools
Inst lprng
Inst lprng-doc
Inst mgetty
Inst mgetty-docs
Inst mgetty-fax
Inst samba
Inst uucp
Conf zlib1g
Conf perl
Conf mime-support
Conf apache-common
Conf apache
Conf php3
Conf netstd
Conf elvis-tiny
Conf libc5
Conf libdb2
Conf netbase
Conf m4
Conf procmail
Conf deliver
Conf sendmail
Conf at
Conf bc
Conf bsdmainutils
Conf cron
Conf groff
Conf lilo
Conf man-db
Conf kbd-data
Conf kbd
Conf makedev
Conf modutils
Conf procps
Conf setserial
Conf sysklogd
Conf cpp
Conf data-dumper
Conf libnet-perl
Conf dpkg-ftp
Conf elm-me+
Conf gpm
Conf ispell
Conf iamerican
Conf ibritish
Conf less
Conf liblockfile0
Conf sharutils
Conf apache-doc
Conf archie
Conf dhcp-beta
Conf dhcpcd
Conf ee
Conf idutch
Conf libgpmg1
Conf libjpeg62
Conf libjpegg6a
Conf libtiff3g
Conf magicfilter
Conf mc
Conf metamail
Conf modconf
Conf netpbm1
Conf netpbm
Conf netpbm-nonfree
Conf procmail-lib
Conf samba-common
Conf syslinux
Conf xntp3
Conf xntp3-doc
Conf dpkg-mountable
Conf isapnptools
Conf lprng
Conf lprng-doc
Conf mgetty
Conf mgetty-docs
Conf mgetty-fax
Conf samba
Conf uucp

Now my question really is: can I pursue with the upgrade (and will
apt know that my libc6 is already on par)? Or do I need to do
something drastic and unload libc6 or something? Maybe even forget
about the whole thing? I am a little scared...

Any pointers much appreciated!

--
  Erik van der Meulen <erik@avondel.xs4all.nl>