Re: Misskey resulted in chown entire directory tree

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, John Foster wrote:

>=that the result is the changing of the owner/group of every file on my
>=complete directory tree to a single username.groupname. Any Suggestions

I have done the same lately on /usr. Very funny.

The possible solutions as I can see are:

= if you have a backup - restore it. Preferred way I afraid. Did not work
for me because daily potato upgrades.

= if you have Tripware installed - there is a check for permissions as well.
Does not work for me as well because reason above (very frequent updates).

= Using existed Tripware database and perl/bash script to recover
permissions only. Occasionally I have no time to find out the format
of Tripware database and make script. Have someone done it already ?

= The way I am going to use - reinstall Potato as soon as it will
be released. It should be OK for my test computer. And it also
remove a lot of garbage from dpkg/apt status file.

Please correct me if I missed one way.
---
Regards,
Pavel Epifanov.