Re: More ppp problems

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Jonathan said:

> 1. From time to time, my ppp0 interface just stops working. Such as:
> Sith:~# ifconfig ppp0
> ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
>           inet addr:207.158.172.195  P-t-P:206.84.176.80 Mask:255.255.255.255
and

> From ppp.log's point of view, it stops recieving lcp replies (though
> it keeps sending requests).  From message's kernel logs, it gets a
> bunch of protocol 17 messages and then just "dies" (i.e. doesnt record
> anything else for whatever reason).
>
> OK, so thats weird.
>
> My SECOND problem is that my modem just up and hangs up
> occaisionally. As far as this is concerned, I just hope someone can
> tell me how to start determining if it was due to a change on my side
> or the ISPs side.
>
> Both of these problems "go away" when I hangup and re-connect.

Most likely the ISP, but may be the phone lines between your computer and the
ISP.  If you know anything about interior phone wiring, then check and/or
replace the lines between your computer and your demarkation box. (thats the
box between the phone company's property and yours) If that doesn't help, then
ask someone at the ISP.  They'll deny any fault, and probably blame your phone
company, but the problem may go away.