Unix98 Pty broken (/etc/rcS.d/S35devpts.sh corrupted?)

I am running latest potato (finally!) with kernel 2.2.14. I have support
for UNIX 98 PTY in my kernel. However, when I bootup Debian I see the
following amongst the many bootup messages:

/etc/rcS.d/S35devpts.sh error: line 66: syntax error: unexpected end of
file

(the error message is not EXACTLY like the above but very close)

As a result, the /dev/pts FS does not get mounted even though support
for it is in my kernel. The output of "df -ahT" is:

Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2     ext2    258M   13M  232M   5% /
proc          proc       0     0     0   -  /proc
/dev/hda7     ext2    1.9G  467M  1.3G  25% /usr
/dev/hda9     ext2    486M  160M  301M  35% /var
/dev/hda8     ext2    729M   16M  675M   2% /home

Also, when I type pon, I get the following warning message:

Couldn't open pty slave /dev/pts/0: No such file or directory

Could someone tell me how to fix this problem ? My kernel config is
exactly the same as before I reinstalled Debian and upgraded to potato
last night. The following version of sysvinit is installed on my
machine:

ii  sysvinit     2.78-1        System-V like init.

Can someone email me a working copy of this file that I mentioned above
or tell me how to fix this problem ?

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed