Re: Mirror updates?

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Marc Sherman wrote:

 : How often are the debian mirrors updated?

Primary-push mirrors are updated daily.

 : I just installed potato a couple days ago, using the
 : Canadian pkg mirror at ftp.ca.debian.org.  Today, I
 : ran apt-get update; apt-get upgrade for the first
 : time, and got 0 packages updated.  On a hunch, I changed
 : my sources.list to point to http.us.debian.org, and
 : reran the update/upgrade, and got 29 packages updated.
 :
 : Is this just an n-day lag between the primary site and
 : the mirror, or is ftp.ca.debian.org not being maintained?
 : If the former, how big is n?  If it's just a couple days,
 : I can certainly live with that, but if it's much longer,
 : I'll stick to hitting the primary site.

I don't know by who or how often ftp.ca.debian.org is maintained, but I
do know that http.us.debian.org consists of several primary-push mirrors
which are the first mirrors to update.

 : My transfer times are comparable (about 10-14.5 KB/s over
 : a 1M ADSL connection, which is pretty poor) between both
 : sites, though the US site is more variable -- I suspect
 : that's due to the higher load on the US site, since my
 : ISP has good connectivity to the US backbone.

http.us.debian.org is a round robin A record:

  nnorman@maxwell:~ $ host http.us.debian.org
  http.us.debian.org  	A	63.209.15.252
  http.us.debian.org  	A	207.69.194.216
  http.us.debian.org  	A	24.220.0.13
  http.us.debian.org  	A	209.249.97.234
  http.us.debian.org  	A	141.213.4.21

Try pinging/tracerouting to each in turn; you'll probably find one that
is consistently faster than the others.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD