Urgent: Can't upgrade from slink to Potato/Frozen!!

Ok, this problem has me totally stumped. I have upgraded from slink ->
potato twice in the past without any problems. But on this new
installation of slink, after I changed my /etc/apt/sources.list to look
like:

# Use for a local mirror - remove the ftp1 http lines for the bits
# your mirror contains.
# deb file:/your/mirror/here/debian stable main contrib non-free
# See sources.list(5) for more information, especial
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib
non-free

"apt-get update" followed by "apt-get upgrade" tells me:

apt-get upgrade
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...ok
The following packages have been kept back
  omniorb
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

WTF!? I expected to see a whole pile of packages being upgraded. If I
try and upgrade apt alone before upgrading everything else, I get a
message saying that apt is already up to date.

ii  apt      0.1.9   Front-End for dpkg
ii  libpcap0 0.4a6-2 System interface for user-level packet captu

NOT!!!

Maybe I have missed something really simple, but I can't figure out
how to upgrade to potato/frozen. I even tried changing "potato" to
"frozen" and then "unstable" in my /etc/apt/sources.list but that
didn't help either.

I am running slink with a stock 2.0.36 kernel. I have a lot of
customizations to make to this box but I'd like to upgrade to latest
potato first.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks.

PS : I have already spent > 6 hours trying to upgrade this box to
potato but apt/dpkg refuses to let me do so. I just hope that its
something simple I have completely overlooked.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com