Re: need tutorials

Steve Winston wrote:

> Can anyone recommend tutorials on the following subjects (yes, I can use
> the search engines, too..but I am looking for something that has helped you):
> 1. using the conflict resolution portion of dselect.
> 2. replacing xdm with gdm.
> 3. getting netscape (I can't get all of it no matter what i do).

I'll suggest an approach for 3. ( I presume you are using Slink):

This is for version 4.5-1.

1. Install netscape-base-4 5 via :

http://www.debian.org/Packages/stable/web/netscape-base-4.html

Use this command :   dpkg -i <name>.deb

2. Put the following URI in your /etc/apt/sources.list :

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

3. apt-get update

4. apt-get install communicator-smotif-45

apt-get will also install other necessary packages

5. apt-get install netscape-java-45

6. apt-get clean

You should end up with the following  :

ii  netscape-base-4 5
ii  netscape-base-4 4.5-1
ii  netscape-java-4 4.5-1
ii  communicator-ba 4.5-1
ii  communicator-sm 4.5-1
ii  communicator-sp 4.5-1

Cheers,

--

Howard Mann                   Online Troubleshooting Resources: HOWTO
http://www.newbielinux.com    http://www.xmission.com/~howardm/t1.html