Since when.....

does assigning addresses to a network devices work out of the box? I baked a new kernel (2.2.13) with support for my NE2000 clone and after reboot I could immediately telnet into my Linux box via my LAN (the host, domain name and ip address were already set at install time). What ever happened to 'ifconfig' and 'route'?

Not that I mind an easier setup, but the whole routine is still described in NET3-4HOWTO. Or could it be that I installed SAMBA immediately after I rebooted, or that it is Friday night dizziness, so close to the weekend :-)

Hans