Re: File system/directory structure docs?

Marc Sherman wrote:

> I'd like to learn more about the anatomy of a debian
> file system - what all the various [usr/[local/][s]bin
> directories are for, where new apps I install (without
> packages) should go, what /etc and /var are for, etc.
> Is there a FAQ or HOWTO that I can read that covers
> this stuff?
>
> More generally, what's a good strategy for finding the
> approrpriate FAQs?  I've asked a few questions this week,
> and all the answers were in FAQs or HOWTOs -- I just didn't
> find them when I looked.  For example, I searched
> linuxdoc.org for "directory structure" for this question,
> but didn't find much useful info.  Any suggestions are
> welcome.

There are many ways to search for linx-related information that is
available online.

See my HOWTO for more pointers :-)

For example, I typed " filesystem" and "standard" in www.google/linux
, and immediately found references to a " Filesystem Hierarchy
Standard" and this item :

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-toc.html

There is no "secret method"  for finding information. One simply has
to be aware of what is generally available.

Cheers and good luck.

--

Howard Mann                   Online Troubleshooting Resources: HOWTO
http://www.newbielinux.com    http://www.xmission.com/~howardm/t1.html