Re: apt-get upgrade -> config: dead keyboard??

> From a slink system, recently ran apt-get dist-upgrade, which went
> fine, then ran apt-get -d upgrade to get the held-back packages.
>
> Finally, ran apt-get upgrade to install/config them.
>
> They unpacked fine, but when they went to install, auctex and cvs each
> launched a graphical config screen -- but with the keyboard dead. The
> only option was to ctl-C out of apt-get entirely.
>
> Anyone seen this, or guess a reason?

Yes, I had the same problem.  Seems to be a problem with debconf.  I ran:

  dpkg-reconfigure --frontend=text debconf

Somewhere along the way, it prompts you for your front-end.  Select "text"
instead of dialog.  You can then continue with apt-get.  You won't get the
fancy graphical screen, but it will work and that seems more important.

rgds-- TA  (tallard@frb.gov)
I don't speak for the Federal Reserve Board, it doesn't speak for me.