system requirements for SCSI

I want to by a SCSI drive and controller for one of my older computers
so it can act as an ftp server.  My understanding is that a slower
computer can act as a decent server if you use SCSI since it doesn't
require much from the processor.  Is that right?  Also, are there any
minimum requirements?  The computer is a Gateway P166 with 32MB of EDO
ram.  It will boot from an IDE drive, but the files that will be
available from the server will all be on the SCSI drive.  Sorry this
isn't entirely Debian-related, but I use Debian and I want to install
Debian on this computer, too.  I'm thinking of buying a 9.1GB IBM
Ultrastar 18ES and an Adaptec 2940U2W U2W/S host adapter.  Thanks in
advance for any input.
--

Brian J. Stults
Doctoral Candidate