Re: Groups and what not 2.

David Wright said:
> Quoting Dave Sherohman (esper@usinternet.com):
> > Also, you should be aware that the user cdrom is implicitly a member of the
> > group cdrom and hans is implicitly a member of group hans, even though
> > /etc/group doesn't list them.
>
> I thought user hans was a member of group hans because the fourth
> field of entry hans in the passwd file matched the third field in
> entry hans in the group file.

Yep, the matching is actually done on UID = GID.  I just stated the effect
and didn't bother with the cause.  (I considered it, but decided not to.)

> As I read it, there's no cdrom user.

Whoops!  You are correct.

> BTW you need to be in audio to use the CD device as a CD player.

I suspect that you should be able to use the CDROM to play audio CDs through
the headphone jack (assuming it has one, of course) without being in audio,
but you definitely have to be in group audio (or make /dev/audio, /dev/dsp,
and, preferably, /dev/mixer world-writable) if you want to play CDs through
the sound card.

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+