RE: Woody? when did this happen? - when "stable" must be used to install slink - details (and probable latent bug)

> > From: Brian May <bam@debian.org>

> >     Daniel> I don't know why Debian people can't understand that
> >     Daniel> releases/versions also need to be accessible by names that
> >     Daniel> _don't_ change.
> >
> > Why refer to in in apt/sources.list as unstable or frozen when
> > potato would be better?
>

> Because it doesn't work for local mirrors.
Actually, it does work IF
you make a link called frozen that points to potato.
Remove the link before running the rsync (or whatever)
and replace it afterwards.  When potato becomes stable,
you have to make the link "stable".  The names are changed
in Packages file when they do this.  As an alternate way,
edit the Packages file and change frozen with potato...

maybe it could be better but it does work as long as you
know what's going on.

jim

[stuff snipped]