Groups and what not 2.

>/etc/group is the file where groups are defined.  Each line is of the form
>
>groupname:password:groupID:users

That's it? Even a child could have figured that out. There were two files
(/etc/group and /etc/group-) but I edited the first and it worked.

There were already a great number of groups in /etc/group. Do I get it
right then that when I add myself to cdrom:x:24: (thus becoming
cdrom:x:24:hans) I have access to that device? If so, this would seems
better to me than the suggestion "change the permission with chmod" you
always see when a person reports a device he/she can't access. I would
still change the permission from the standard 755 to 440 which seems more
appropriate to me for /cdrom, making it unreadable for the world.

Maybe I'm not making sense at all, but I'm trying to get the philosophy
behind all this. Sorry. -- Hans