Groups and what not.

Can someone give me a pointer to some on-line info on group management
(preferably in laymen's terms). I understand file permissions and their
use, but I'd like to secure my data by only giving access to me, a user,
and root to certain partitions on a server. I have me, the user and root
set up, but I find that "me-the-fool" and the other user don't have
permission to write UNLESS I make the partition world readable/writable
(which is not what I want).

I don't really get the idea of how to add myself and others to a group
(e.g. root) or create a group with the three of us. I find that most Linux
documentation do a great job of explaining file permission, but not groups.
Linuxgazette and linuxfocus didn't have anything useful for me and usually
they are the ones explaining this kind of stuff most clearly. Anyone? TIA
-- Hans