Problems with GNOME; Using pon as user

Hey,

I downloaded GNOME last night with apt, and it seems like it installed the
programs that come with GNOME, but when I boot up, the GNOME bar-type thing
isn't there.  Do I need to configure something to do this?

One more problem.  A little while ago, I mailed about using 'pon' as a
normal user.  You guys told me to add myself to the group dialout and dip.
I did that (I also added myself to audio so that xmcd would work) but pon
still doesn't work, and neither does xmcd.  Is there something else I need
to add in /etc/group?

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson