Re: Statistics Package Recommendations?

On 01/26/00, Matthew W. Roberts addressed "Statistics Package Recommendations?":
> I'm looking for a statistics package for programming.  Couldn't find
> any Debian packages, but did find Goose (v 0.0.11).  Just wondering
> if there are any more mature libraries out there.

Is this what you're looking for?

[]K>dpkg --print-avail r-base octave
dpkg --print-avail r-base octave
Package: r-base
Section: math
Installed-Size: 9712
Maintainer: Douglas Bates <bates@stat.wisc.edu>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.90.1-2
Depends: perl5, zlib-bin, libc6 (>= 2.1), libncurses4 (>= 4.2-3.1), libreadlineg2 (>= 2.1-15), libz1, xlib6g (>= 3.3.5)
Suggests: g77, libpaperg, ess
Conflicts: r-cran
Filename: dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/math/r-base_0.90.1-2.deb
Size: 2561584
MD5sum: 8ac35282148adbf0419487fd1e2820c3
 R is described by its authors as "not unlike" S, which is a language
 developed at Bell Laboratories for statistical computing and graphics.
 It provides support for a variety of statistical and graphical analyses.
 R is a true computer language which contains a number of control-flow
 constructions for iteration and alternation.  It allows users to add
 additional functionality by defining new functions.  Fortran and C
 code can be linked and called at run time.
 .
 S is the statistician's Matlab and R is to S what Octave is to Matlab.
 .
 Versions 0.90.0 and higher have R functions CRAN.packages, install.packages,
 and update.packages that can be used to select and update R packages from the
 Comprehensive R Archive Network.  The Debian packages r-cran, r-cran-non-free,
 and r-mlbench are no longer needed and have been withdrawn.

Package: octave
Section: math
Installed-Size: 5459
Maintainer: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 2.0.15-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.2), libncurses5, libreadline4 (>= 4.1), libstdc++2.10, less, info (>= 3.12) | info-browser
Suggests: gnuplot, octave-doc, octave-htmldoc, octave-headers, emacsen
Filename: dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/math/octave_2.0.15-1.deb
Size: 1797472
MD5sum: f673a084858f55ccb65fa6b16bb17438
 Octave is a (mostly Matlab (R) compatible) high-level language, primarily
 intended for numerical computations. It provides a convenient command-line
 interface for solving linear and nonlinear problems numerically.
 .
 Octave uses some of the best and most respected numerical libraries as
 balgen, dassl, eisspack, fftpack, lapack, linpack, minpack, odepack,
 ranlib, slatec-fn and villad. Octave can be dynamically extended with
 user-supplied C++ files.

--
Jesse Jacobsen, Pastor          jjacobsen@jvlnet.com
Grace Lutheran Church (ELS)     http://www.jvlnet.com/~jjacobsen/