Re: modem support

> Hello:  I am using a US Robotics 56k Voice Win modem.  I ran pppconfig
> (correctly) and get a log that indicates:
>
> pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
> tcgetattr:  Input/ouput error (5)
> Exit
>
> I assume Linux does not support the Win modems.  Is that correct? Is
> there not a "patch" or something available?

Mostly correct.  Linux has support for some winmodems (specifically the
ones based on Lucent's chipset) with some kernel revisions (specifically a
recent 2.2 kernel iirc) in the form of a binary-only loadable module.

If you don't meet those conditions the thing is worthless without Windows,
I'm sorry to say.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein