Re: Trouble with X Windows

Howard Mann wrote:

> >Howard Mann wrote:
>
> > > Try this :
> > >
> > > 0   edit /etc/apt/sources.list, adding the following URI:
> > >
> > >     deb http://www.debian.org/~vincent/ xfree-update main
> > >
> > > 0    "comment-out" the other URI's in that file.
>
> >Joe Block wrote:
> >
> > You don't need to comment out the other URIs.  apt is smart enough to
> > use the highest version number for any given package, so the
> > xfree-update packages will override the stock slink stuff.
>
> Sure. However, the user may not wish ( for whatever reason) to upgrade
> the other packages on his system, and stipulating only one URI in this
> case will speed-up the upgrade process.

I hadn't thought of that.  The first thing I do on a new system is fix
the sources.list and upgrade everything anyway - between bug fixes and
security updates, it is the right thing to do.  I'll admit it might be a
bit painful over a dialup line though.

jpb
--
Joe Block <jpb@creol.ucf.edu>
CREOL System Administrator

Social graces are the packet headers of everyday life.